Thursday, November 18, 2010

A day in the life of travelling

I am going to start this post by saying... I travel a lot.  I am not at the super status yet for alaska, but am one round trip away.  I am in Portland right now and I know it is the start of the holiday travels.  Based on what I saw today, people forget common courtesy when they walk in to the airport.  I saw a lady walk up to the baggage check-in at Seatac and yell at the Alaska employee because she didn't want to wait in line to check in for the flight.  Really?  How will you get through security without your boarding pass?  Then I saw a guy checking his cooler of fish.  Instead of taping it shut in advance, all of us had to wait for him to do that.  The last one was an Indian family that was flying internationally.  They had 1 giant suitcase that weighed 65 pounds.  They had to pay $75 to check the bag because it weighed so much.  Why not just pack two bags and pay $20 each?  Just an observation. 

The best person I saw though was someone I felt a little sorry for.  He had just gotten off his horizon flight, didn't understand that he was supposed to pick up his bag at the ala carte, went to baggage claim and 3 ticket counters before I told him he needed to go back through security to his gate and get his bag, then go to his connecting flight.  He had 40 minutes to do this.  I knew how this would end... missed flight.  Sure enough, I saw him in line at the customer service with his suitcase at 10:05.  His flight was at 10:10.  I felt bad for him.  At least I was helpful, but obviously not enough. 

When I made it to Portland, I took the MAX and rode to the hotel for about $2.50.  What a deal!  Way better than my $50 cab ride from Bellevue! 

As I was walking up the street with my suitcase and laptop bag, a water delivery guy asked if I wanted help with my luggage.  I told him I was fine, but thanks for the offer.  That was pretty nice.  :)  How often does that happen?

If you are travelling this season and you see someone that needs help.  Help them.  :)  I will try to be helpful too.  :)

No comments: